Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Twitter

I attended the National Educational Computing Conference in Georgia during the summer of 2007. One of the Web 2.0 tools that I was introduced to was Twitter. Twitter is social networking and micro-blogging put together around the question "What are you doing?"

In 140 characters or less, you post answers to that question. It is instant messaging from your computer or phone.

Once joining Twitter, you build a network of people you would like to follow. I am following people that have many of the same interests as I do. I am learning as much as I can about the Web 2.0 tools, educational technology, and specifically blogging.

Advantages to Twitter:

Everyday, I have a notebook beside me so I can write down any information that I need to look up later. In this way, I am keeping a journal on educational technology and Web 2.0 tools. Most of the time, the information leads to free "stuff" just waiting for me to tap into. For example, here are a few Web 2.0 tools I have been learning about:

voicethread, where you upload pictures and add comments or audio. What is really unique is that you can have others add their comments or leave an audio recording. Voicethread can be used to teach about a specific topic to commenting on family photos. The sky is the limit with this tool.

audacity, If you are interested in making MP3 files, this is a free tool that you must check out.

Social bookmarking with del.icio.us, If you want to be able to get to those bookmarks that you have made at home on your computer from work, use del.icio.us. You can "log in" to any computer, anywhere and tap into your bookmarks.

co.mments,
Co.mments is a new tool for me. I will be able to feed my comments into a reader to keep updated on recent comments made to me. You can read more about this @dswaters

To learn more about technology, here is Sue Waters' homepage:
http://aquaculturepda.edublogs.org

Podomatic is a great place to upload your MP3 files!
podomatic,



skype
Skype has several features, but the one I am interested in is computer to computer Skype calls. I can Skype my girlfriend in Italy for free. I will write later how that turns out.

Well, this is just a few of the things that I have been learning from my Twitter friends.

Technorati Tags







Listen to this article
Listen to this article

1 comment:

Sue Waters said...

Hi Pam

Glad you have decided to use Co.mment. How are you finding it so far?

Just thought I would also let you know that I've tutorial for many of the tools you mention on my wiki.

Thanks for mentoring a minilegend - I'm looking forward to working with these kids.

Sue Waters