Monday, June 23, 2008

The Daily 5 and summer reading!

I have many books on my things to do list for this summer. I truly enjoy reading and I look forward to reading outside on a sunny day or inside on any day. :0) Just having time to read is great for me.

Here is one of my summer reading books:
The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser "the sisters".

What are the Daily Five? They are read to self, read to someone, work on writing, listen to reading, and spelling/word work. This is actually a management system for the classroom where teachers engage students into actively reading for a purpose.

As I read this outstanding book, I can see that integrating technology into the daily five will be quite easy. Each area is built for technology use. All five areas, read to self, read to someone, work on writing, listen to reading, and spelling/word work can be accomplished through blogs, wikis, and Internet websites. There are ebooks and books on tape that are wonderful resources for kids.

A blog would be a fantastic way to have students journal their experiences with the Daily 5. Personal blogs would reflect the students' writing and word work to show growth over time. There are numerous places to set up blogs for young students. Remember to edit the settings and keep them private if your child or students are under 14.

2 comments:

Ms. Masterson said...

I love using the Daily 5 in my classroom but always have struggled with the assessment piece. Have you used the cafe part of it? I think using blogs as a way of journaling and writing about reading would be great! I just need to get more familiarized with blogging. Any advice would be wonderful.

Pamela Pritchard said...

Tarmasterson

I agree with you that blogging is a wonderful way to have students keep journals!
I haven't had too much success with journaling with blogs at school because they are blocked. However, the students enjoy using wikis at school. We use our wiki to post their journal articles then the students can go home and transfer the information to our blog.

It takes more time but this is one way to keep blogging.

Have you tried Class Blogmeister by David Warlick. He has a very safe place to have students blog. Again, they are blocked at school so the students must work from home.

My girlfriend just told me about the daily cafe so I haven't visited it yet!
Thanks for the comments!